Ephemera Project

Task 1 – Text Block

This morning we had three different tasks to complete, but first we had a brief recap on the different terms to use in our work. For the first task we were given a piece of text which we then had to set into a paragraph taking into consideration the leading, kerning, tracking, justification and rag. This was a very simple but interesting task as it made you consider the different elements to make a perfectly structured paragraph. From the task I learnt that it is important to consider the line length, which is the maximum length of a single line of text before the next word in a sentence ‘wraps’ onto the next line underneath. I am happy with the spacing between each sentence, however the line length is slightly untidy as some of the sentences are longer than others. This causes the paragraph to look uneven, and whilst reading the text it is a fact that the eyes can only focus on a line of text for so long before the fatigue kicks in and destroys the reading process.

Examples of different layouts 

Task 2 – Layout/Editorial pt.1

The second task today was to create four different layouts using the magazines or newspapers. We had to create two portrait and landscape symmetrical layouts and two portrait and landscape asymmetrical layouts. However due to lack time we only got to do three of these layouts.

I started by cutting out a heading, sub heading, an image, and a block of text from the newspaper provided. I then decided to experiment with the different layouts, once I was happy with the layout I would then glue it to the A4 paper, taking into consideration that the elements can overlap.

The first image below is an example of an asymmetrical portrait layout. All of the elements are staggered on one side of the page. I decided to place the heading on its side, going up the left hand side of the paper so that it catches your eye. If I would have created this layout using columns, the large image would be slightly out of the grid system therefore it makes it an asymmetrical layout. For the second piece I wanted to create a symmetrical landscape layout, using a larger image. Instead of using one straight heading I wanted to experiment with cutting the letters and placing one lower than the other, and I think that this has worked really well. However the last layout is definitely my least favourite. For this I wanted to create the layout so that they were symmetrical, but this didn’t go to plan as I had another block of text which made the layout slightly more asymmetrical.

Task 3 – Layout/ Editorial pt.2

Following task 2, we then formed pairs to discuss and make notes on the qualities of each layout. We also had to re balance the elements and show how the layout could be improved. We then had to choose one of the three designs, photocopy it and then re build the layout on the basis of our discussion.

Considering the aesthetic and the power of white space I decided to play around with the elements on my partner’s work. I thought that the original image (The top first image below) was very interesting and left plenty of white space, however my only concern was that the image and the heading didn’t look as if they were meant to be together. So I decided to bring the image closer to the text and place the heading above. I thought that this worked really well at first, but after a while it started to look off-balance so I then decided to move the heading to the side of the image and I was really happy with the outcome.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s