As a group we were set the task of creating your own modular system using the graphs provided. After a brief introduction to Modular Typography, we started to create our designs individually on the graph paper of your choice. Independently I started to play around with different ways I could create the typeface. I started off by doing bold lettering, some stretched and some wide and bulky, I then went on to experiment with much thinner lines working out how to join each line to create a letter. I tried to experiment with the letters ‘R’ ‘P’ ‘A’ ‘e’ and ‘m’ so that each letter could easily transform into another.
I then decided to start experimenting with half blocks, taking up three lines from the graph to give the fonts a folded look. I found that this typeface worked better with uppercase and lowercase letters. However as a group we decided that these would be too simple and didn’t work together so that each letter could form into another.
We then decided to focus on the middle part of the graph and experiment with what we could do, this was the outcome.
This modular typeface was definitely my favourite, we decided that it was the best typeface to use as it gives you the freedom to create more than one letter following the same tradition.